Tuesday 16 November 2010

WHILE I'M SLACKIN' JAY'S BACK TRACKIN'...

(Why does Jay look like a black Will Ferrell to me? Gotta be the wrinkly forehead)

Ok, so I am slacking with any meaningful content recently, so anyone that keeps up with me trying to keep up with the world on this blog will just have to cope with this minimalist approach for now. Expect small update and wifey material posts in abundance. With various other work, assignments and business going on, there has been no time to ruminate over anything recently.

Back to the topic (by the way, J absolutely murders that 'back to the topic, actually forgot it..' line in the last verse), a track caught my attention yesterday for all the right reasons. The beat is nice, with a jazzy hook that's oh so familiar - I'll try and track down where the sample is from - word on the forums is it's a Pete Rock beat so it's bound to be some obscure 50s song.
I'm referring to Jay Electronica's 'Shiny Suite Theory' featuring a guest spot from that man Jigga. Jay Elec's voice and flow is buttery-smooth as always. I explained HERE how he's able to do this (10 paragraphs or so down).

Jigga takes it back with his flow on this one. Maybe it's the slight cassette-sounding quality to the mic he used, but it seems like '96 just rolled up in this song and overcame Jay's verse. The outcome is dope so lets not even dwell on what came over Jay and just enjoy this moment/track for what it is.

Jay Electronica - 'Shiny Suit Theory' Feat. Jay-z & The Dream

Oh I'm sorry, were you expecting some comment on Jay Elec's signing to Roc Nation? Well, ignoring the fact that if you are reading this, you're most likely a blog addict anyway so are already well informed. Phil already tied it up pretty nicely HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AYO!