Sunday 23 May 2010

OLD FACES BRINGING NEW LIFE TO OLD DREAMS.

In connection with my last post some strange thoughts have been bugging me since I went down to the track that evening. As I was going through my warm ups I spotted some guys playing football towards the end of the field, in fact they can just about be seen in that second pic (previous post). Having played football at a pretty high level as youngster I pretty much know who's who of the up and coming young players in the whole industry. Therefore as I began to run laps I was pretty sure that if they were a decent bunch of players then I would most likely know one or two of em.
Turns out there was a couple i knew, one in particular was a guy i met in my last couple years of high school (my school was a football and basketball academy). He approached me as I was running so i pulled down the headphones (i know i said i hate people interrupting my training but i was almost done, he had just finished his own session and he's an old friend anyway so hush up) and we caught up a little. But as with any conversation with an old friend/footballer, it usually dominated by who's made it, who's on the come up and who's still striving.
I gave up ballin a long time ago, a few years back to be precise, i was actually real good in my younger days playing on par with some names you may recognise cropping up now. Had a few professional clubs asking about me, but due to parental guidance i didn't end up attending any of the trials offered to me, instead being told to wait until i was older. So the story goes, i lost interest a little, things became way to serious way to early, the enjoyment was sucked out, alotta politicin' involved and i eventually packed it in.
However since visiting the Mecca of football (Brasil) i can say with some caution, that my passion for football has been re-kindled. Well at least a little. Seeing how relaxed and fun the Brasileiro's attitude to the game is reminded me of how it should be played. I met little kids with so much talent and technical ability that were they to be in England, even at such ripe ages as 8 and 10, they would still be snapped up by pro clubs.

I've digressed quite a bit here from what i intended to talk about which was meeting that old friend. So, this guy to say the least didn't impress me much on our last meeting, he flopped at school, didn't bother with uni and had a somewhat non-existent football career. That was the impression i gained last summer when coming across him doing some pre-season training, he looked flabby, slow and overall way outta shape. But i must say after speaking to him this time round, he'd lost weight, he appeared motivated and he even went as far as providing me with hope.
Even though this guy currently earns a decent wage web designing he admitted to me straight away 'i'd rather be out here though.' I was surprised, my mother basically made it out to me like 'if a pro club aint picked you up by 16 then it's probably not going to happen.' Yet here this kid is, still trying at 20, and we even spoke about the numerous people that made it after 20, most notable being the famous Ian Wright.
So my boy here has been picked up by Nike's academy team whereby they recently went to Barcelona to play their youth team. Despite being smashed 6-0 it would have no doubt been a great experience. I also don't doubt that the quality of that Nike team is nothing special (of course with all the best players playing soley for their pro club teams) but still, the training will be of a high standard and it's still a stepping stone.
My man had so much confidence and determination in the way he was talking to me that it would do nothing but surprise me if he doesn't now go on to make it somewhere in this world of football. He's seen the 'normal world,' a '9 to 5' and now i think it's really hit home, son is gonna run, eat right and do drills everyday to attain his dream. Moreover he has inspired me to reconsider my future, maybe a degree in journalism isn't for me, heck i love sports more than anything, it would be a dream to play a sport that i love everyday such as football or coach elite athletes everyday on the track.
I think I'm gonna find a team or group to start training with to see if my feet still have it in em. I tore up the local 7 a side courts the other day but now i think it's time to start playing with the big boys and see if i can still do my thing amongst those of a similar standard to me. If i can stay away from those OVER serious coaches and maintain confidence, then shit....i'd loved to play this game for the rest of my life.

It may sound clichè but it really is never to late to give up on your passion. Well it's at least later than you think (50+ year olds don't be trynna make the NBA draft now). If everyone in the world managed to find their passion instead of just accepting a certain route, a certain career path, then i'm positive we would have a world of experts. It hit me that I was so good at football when i was younger because I didn't even realise I was honing my skills practicing all day everyday. If you asked m opinion then, I was just having fun, doing kick ups all day, trying to kick a ball in to cupboards from the other end of the house. Without even realising I was moving way ahead of my class. So when the passion went so did the playing in the house, going everywhere with a ball at my feet etc...
It's like I said to my Girlfriend who play's basketball for the U 20's national team, if you aint bouncing a basketball near enough all the time, if you don't wanna play near enough all the time, then maybe this game aint for you. None of this 'I feel like playing today let's go down to the park' bullshit, it's gotta be subconcious. Way too many people try to force it. Making themselves go down to the park and shoot 100 shots without actually wanting to do it. If it aint fun for you anymore then, sorry to tell ya but it is most likely no longer your passion. The best players in any endevour all had passion for what they did. Therefore they subconciously repeated the task or activity time and time again without realising they are actually practiving. Once you realise you're practicing, then it becomes work.

The hardest thing in life isn't the becoming good at something part, it's the finding that special something that you love part, once you find that, your set!

Find your passion, and do it everyday. It may not make you a million bucks but it'll give you a life time of happiness and make you the best and whatever your passion happens to be.


Peace.




Lukas the star to be born (Rio De Janeiro)

No comments:

Post a Comment

AYO!