Friday 28 May 2010

TOILING OVER DREAMS, ASPIRATIONS AND LIFE...

So the past few days I've been thinking quite deeply. I think everyone can relate in saying that we all dream, but we often don't best map out the route to attain our dreams. I've been thinking recently about a few of the aspirations I have. One being to get more involved in this whole online ish learning skills such as photoshop and flash along the way. My design skills on paper are pretty solid but I need to learn how to take that shit to the next level and the next level is on the screen digitally.
With university fast approaching i need to gear my mind towards journalism a little more. Therefore whenever, if ever, i attain money I'm committed to buying a different newspaper everyday and really getting to know what goes in to the putting together of each one. I read in a book sent to all journalism students attending City University, that interviewers will frequently ask the question 'who is your idol,' meaning your favourite journalist. I already hold massive amounts of respect for Jeff Chang after not only reading his body of work (Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History Of The Hip Hop Generation, go cop), but also his life story of working his way through the ranks of the industry. What's more the likes of Riggs Morales and Bobbito Garcia impress, if only through passion and enthusiasm alone. However, to back up such claims of being passionate about Hip Hop i think it best that i also display my knowledge of Broadsheets and Current Affairs writers. Probably a good idea for any aspiring journalists.

Anywho all this thinking has only been further fueled by my purchasing of that famous book entitled 'The Alchemist' (Paulo Coelho). It's a short read so I'll probably be able to come back in a day or so with a short review but from what I understand so far the novel is all about life and chasing one's dreams. It reads almost like a mystical old fable that beholds great wisdom. I love the fact that most cultures outside of Western Society prove to be highly philosophical. When travelling North Africa or Asia for example, random people in the street can recite great stories or annecdotes of wisdom providing inspiration and insight in to life itself. They're all so deep!
So this one is set in Spain and North Africa and discusses the human traits of accepting fate instead of chasing your passion in life. To be honest Will smith probably explains it best in this video:



In my humble ass opinion, Smith is fast attaining goat status. Dude is just taking over every section of the game. He wins at life.
If there's two videos that i would strongly suggest you watch today they are these two right here, people like Smith and Lupe are sending the right message to these kids out here. Both these dudes can pull of being cool and smart. I just hope the right kids are watching coz as is so often the problem, it's the kids that don't really need help that are targetted with such inspirational opportunities...





Ok now i'm sure you're all video'D out and those of you with krumped out computers are now rueing having come to this blog whilst simultaneously clicking the 'End Now' button on your task manager.

Just a couple extra kb's just to piss ya'll off a tad more....
I also copped that Nas, Damien Marley today to show my support and that old Lupe joint. I may download, but i'll always go back to support whenever the cash money comes my way to do so.
The physical form is so much iller than the digital one. The record store experience aint dead....at least not in my eyes.


Oh and R.I.P Gary Coleman, I thought about doing a little tribute post but you've probably seen a million of those already and I'm not the best equipped person to be making one. Despite all the wise cracks on son's appearance, i really liked the man, a real nice guy. I grew up watching Different Strokes and it seems the man was just dealt a bad hand after that so.....nothin' to say but R.I.P to a semi-legend.

Peace King!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AYO!