Tuesday 8 June 2010

SAY NO TO MALARIA

As i mentioned at the beginning of this humble blog, i recently went exploring in what Europeans came to define as South America. This included exposure to all types of undesirable diseases and animals in the wilderness of Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador. I'm not usually one to get bitten easily but when (pause to appreciate Nas verse on 'Verbal Intercourse' bangin out of the speakers)....but when Malaria is the disease in question, i aint taking no chances. I mean can you blame me, these annoying insects could be carrying all types of nasty diseases.
If one wants to go about avoiding such nastyness then they must part-take in a course of Doxycycline capsules, or Malarone if they were born in to wealth. The newspaper cuttings at my local travel clinic were enough to scare my punkass in to buying a whole bunch of Doxy for my short stint in the jungles of Ecuador. Not to mention the seemingly sweet little nurse who clearly held the belief that it was her job to scare the living Muhammad (lol) out of me. Insistent that the majority of people who travelled to South America, Africa or South East Asia contracted Malaria she appeared to lack a sense of humour and basic social skills.....'what a solemn ass bitch,' were my thoughts. I went back a week before my trip to collect some things and she turned out to be a lot nicer, probably got some.
.

As i was sadly not born in to wealth, i would have to be taking these things for 4 whole weeks after arriving home, something which i proved to suck at doing.

My course started out like most things in life, filled with avid enthusiasm, i became actually excited to take a capsule each evening. However the novelty of swallowing a capsule filled with toxic tasting powder (no innuendo or homo) soon wore off and upon my arrival home I quickly forgot about the whole thing. Though the novelty side effect of strange magical dreams and nightmares definately did not wear off! I just took my last capsule and although I'm glad to be rid of the annoying packages clogging up my beside table for weeks, it just occurred to me the enjoyment throughout the night Doxy has been providing me. Just the other day i had a dream filled with stories of murder and escape. These things have my adrenaline pumping in my sleep as i enact certain stories in my mind. Then comes one of the best parts if the dream happens to be a nightmare, that part right before you wake up, when you realise it's all a dream and you're not actually running from anybody or lost in a strange place. That's the point where you can really enjoy the dream and pay attention to detail. I know I'm sounding real crack-headish right now. However since arriving at a new level of consciousness you become sure that this predicament can not last much longer and you start to awaken, pissed off at yourself for having started to work things out.




I wish i could remember some of the things i dreamt of while away in strange beds and hammocks and whilst in the comfort of my own bed. I'm pretty sure most of the dreams included whatever environment and whoever the people around me were at the time.
I've never had dreams so real and exhilarating. But all i can say is ahh well, because I've come to the end of my relationship with Doxycyline.....it's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AYO!