Friday 20 August 2010

PICKING UP WHERE WE LEFT OFF.....


The past few days have been a little hectic to say the least. I know I promised some post material on Tunisia while I was out there but I decided early-on that it would most likely be easier to accumulate everything and present it once I got home. If I'm being honest, I'm actually fairly annoyed at myself. I enjoyed my time out there seeing fam and just taking everything in. It's always a healthy break from life and western culture in general. Though what has annoyed me is my not taking opportunities that were clearly presented to me. There were so many ill pictures to be taken but I flopped. The fact that I'm runnin' with part Tunisian blood and brown skin means that I can easily pass as a local. Therefore I (stupidly) become a little embarrassed when it comes to taking pictures of locals, landmarks and views. Over the past few years I've become somewhat of a regular visitor anyway, so maybe it's that fact lingering in the back of my mind that stops me from acting like a complete tourist. You could say in the same way that we as natives of our respective cities, don't go around taking pictures of domestic landmarks. I've seen Big Ben a whole bunch of times though have never been compelled to have my picture taken with the big guy.
Alas, it shouldn't be too long before I'm back in the South of Tunisia (which I'd like to add is far more beautiful than the North, both the people and the landscape) again. It's been decided already that a face project is to be conducted. Tunisia is such a mixed country. Near enough every civilization has been through that small land at some point. With the exception of the East Asians and Natives of the Americas, the likes of the Egyptians; Romans, Greeks, Nubians, various West African kingdoms, the Turkish, Spanish, Portuguese and more have graced Tunisian soil. The people themselves reflect this wide mix of genetics in a similar way that Brasilians represent such genetic variation. Tunisians all appear slightly different. Some with curly hair, some afro, some more asian in appearance with straight hair, some middle eastern looking. Therefore I found it captivating just people-watching at markets or on the beach. Old men with straw hats and faces leathery from decades exposed to the African sun sit playing chess or drinking coffee. These guy's faces would just make for some fresh black and white photos, unique in appearance, I can picture the results now. Seeing the troubled faces and searching expressions of the guys sitting behind counters with bodies of animal meat racked up above them. Men grouped under trees that serve to shelter them from the heat reigning down on them. All fascinating stuff that I plan to capture on my next visit. Hopefully if my French improves then i can actually explain to people what the hell I'm doing.

So you can expect to see over the next few posts, a little information on local customs and people. Though I'm going to try and stay away from talking about the country itself too much, as any info I give can most likely be found on our good friend Wikipedia.
Let me adjust back to this English keyboard, weeks on a jumbled French keyboard has messed with my fingers. Apologies in advance for any typos I don't spot. Let the posting commence!




No comments:

Post a Comment

AYO!