Monday 23 August 2010

BILLIE AND BLU



What I love so much about Blu on joints like this is, they just have so much soul and style. Even the way Blu is dressed in that pic featured in the vid, I'm really starting to dig that musician-type unique fashion. Same type of guys that walk around with an instrument and are found in backstreet jazz cafes can be seen wearing such hats and sporting such hair-styles and simple clothing. The style is of a similar mold to that carried by Akil and Adeline. If you're not too sure who either of them are, you're in for a treat pretty soon when I put you up on them.

This song in particular fills my mind with images of a 1920/30's-esque New York apartment window overlooking the city on a rainy day. I would most def be zoned out in my converted warehouse apartment, working to the sounds of Blu. Of course the scene is black and white and the silhouette of a grand piano can be seen blocking the light from the tall, grid leaded window, stained with rain drops. The people walk briskly down below with their black umbrellas or jumping inside their ford automobiles.
Papers filled with writing are sprawled across a workspace that includes a smoldering cigar, the smoke just about still rising.

This is the type of joint I love to hear while working and a song that would instantly add a style and sophistication factor to any apartment if I heard it upon entering. The owner would gain automatic respect from me. It's also the sort of vibe I would hope could be found in a Jazz or Blues club. It's actually a slight goal of mine to visit a Blues/Jazz club and sit in a dark corner observing the dark smokey scene, absorbing the ambience. All whilst quietly and slowly puffing on my over-sized cigar, and I don't even smoke. I hear there's a dope club in Barcelona, if you've heard about that one, get at me!

'Below The Heavens' assured that Blu is virtually a legend in my eyes, nah F that he is a legend! Blu is too exclusive to be considered 'hot' or similar adjectives. He assumes legendary status simply because he goes about doing his thing quietly, rarely being seen and cooking up absolute crack that, for the first few years usually goes largely unnoticed.
Blu actually has 1920's/30's inspired videos, but this is my 2p and Blu is someone that there need not be written a biography for, he's that legendary.

Blu and Billie, now that's swagger. All these fools out here talking about swagger but this is real swagger. These guys are the real cool cats. More laid back than the biggest weed head you know and runnin' with more style than than any of these fashion 'aficionados' out here today. Ride it out Blu...



Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Great call on this one. I recall hearing this track on a podcast (Soulrific I believe) and wanting to find out more about it. Blu is one of those artists whose music I always enjoy but I constantly let slip between the cracks of my memory.

    ReplyDelete

AYO!